HD Kumaraswamy now admits meeting top cop
Bangalore: In a volte-face, former Karnataka chief minister and JDS leader H D Kumaraswamy on Sunday night admitted meeting a top police official of CID.
Earlier in the day, Kumaraswamy denied meeting CID DGP Shankar Bidari on Saturday night.
Bidari is probing alleged irregularities in Upper Krisha Project when Kumaraswamy’s father HD Deve Gowda was the chief minister in the 90s.
Taking a dig at Kumaraswamy, Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC) president G Parameshwara has mocked the meeting as "dinner diplomacy".
CID recently filed an FIR against many officials allegedly involved in the Upper Krishna Project `piece contract` scandal during 1995-98, when Gowda was the state chief minister. Though none from the Gowda family have been named in the FIR, both the former prime minister and Kumaraswamy had deplored the police action, calling it "political vendetta".
According to reports, Kumaraswamy met Bidari for over 90 minutes late Saturday night leading to speculations. While on Sunday morning Kumaraswamy rejected Parameshwara`s claims that he had met Bidari, asserting that he was ready for any probe including by CBI, he did a U-turn admitting to the meeting.
"Bidari wanted some clarifications about the Upper Krishna project and as a responsible citizen I met him," Kumaraswamy told reporters at Madur, 75 kms from here. Parameshwara later said, "We are not questioning Kumaraswamy`s duty as a responsible citizen but only the timing of his meeting with the CID chief".
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends