Hectic lobbying for berth in Gowda ministry
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Ananth Kumar
and mining magnates Reddy brothers were on Wednesday involved in
hectic lobbying with party top brass here for the remaining 12
vacancies in Karnataka Chief Minister Sadanand Gowda`s cabinet
which is likely to be expanded this week end.
Kumar and senior party leader M Venkaiah Naidu held a
meeting with BJP Parliamentary Party Chief L K Advani to
discuss Karnataka issues. Kumar is understood to have tried to
persuade him about including some of his associates in the
Gowda cabinet, party sources said.
Janardhan Reddy, who was Tourism Minister in former Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s cabinet, is also here and is
reportedly lobbying for his associates.
Janardhan, his brother Karunakar and close associate B
Sriramulu were not included in the 21-member Gowda cabinet on
August eight on the ground that they have been indicted in the
Lokayukta report on illegal mining and they now want their
handpicked candidates to be given berths.
"The next round of ministry expansion is expected by this
week end," Minister for Home and Transport R Ashoka told
reporters in Bangalore.
Chief Minister Gowda is also in the capital since
yesterday. He had met Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok
Sabha Sushma Swaraj, her counterpart in Rajya Sabha Arun
Jaitley and other senior central party leaders.
A clear picture on the new additions to Gowda cabinet is
likely to emerge by tomorrow evening, the sources said.
Yeddyurappa had favoured Gowda as his successor and a
majority of the ministers inducted into the new cabinet are
close to him. He also ensured that fellow Lingayat leader
Jagadish Shettar was not given the Deputy Chief Minister`s
Shettar is part of the cabinet along with some of his
associates. Yeddyurappa also did not agree to the dissidents
demand for some key portfolios.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city