High voltage drama in Karnataka Assembly
Bangalore: High voltage drama unfolded in the Karnataka Assembly on Monday as ruling BJP, facing revolt by a section of party MLAs, sought a vote of confidence.
Minutes before the House was scheduled to meet, five independents, disqualified from Assembly membership, were blocked at the gate of the Assembly Hall by the watch and ward
But the five -- P M Narendraswamy, Shivaraj Thangadagi, Gulihatti Shekhar, Venkataramanappa and D Sudhakar – forced open the gate with the help of some others and entered the House.
Before the proceedings commenced, Shekhar removed the buttons of his shirt, climbed onto the desk and shouted anti-government slogans. Earlier, Narendraswamy also made a
verbal attack against the government.
The ruling party members remained quiet and appeared unfazed. The watch and ward staff tried to evict the five independents from the House but JD-S members came to their
help and thwarted their attempts.
Leader of Opposition, Siddramaiah, accused city Police Commissioner Shanka Bidari of not allowing him to enter the Assembly by "locking the gate". Police personnel, led by Bidari, entered the House, much to the ire of the opposition members, who vehemently protested against their presence, as a surcharged atmosphere prevailed.
The opposition members trooped into the well of the House and milled around Speaker K G Bopaiah, as he took up the confidence motion, which was passed by voice-vote amid
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!