HM slams Karnataka for holding IPL match despite blasts
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Monday asked the Karnataka government why an Indian Premier League cricket match was organised at the Chinnaswamy Stadium of Bangalore despite two explosions outside the venue which injured 16.
The Ministry is reported to have sought a report on the matter from the state Home Ministry. It is also disappointed with the lax approach of Karnataka police.
A bomb had exploded outside the stadium minutes before the IPL match between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Mumbai Indians was to begin, leaving 16 people injured.
Initial probe into the blasts indicates that Indian Mujahideen founder Yasin Bhatkal could be involved in the planting of bombs.
Union Home Ministry sources said the kind of material
used and the modus operandi pointed to involvement of IM. The sources said the mechanism of using loosely-packed
ammonium nitrate with engine oil and ball bearings had been
adopted by the IM in earlier blasts that shook the country
between 2005 and 2009.
The ministry has issued a warning to the IPL security
arrangements that Mumbai’s DY Patil Stadium is not a very safe place to hold a match.
Though the police claimed to have pressed its dog squad
and bomb disposal squad into service before giving a go ahead
for the cricket match between Mumbai Indians and Royal
Challengers Bangalore, sources said three bombs were recovered
by Central forensic team which had arrived from Delhi.
The bombs were of higher intensity and could have
resulted in a major damage, if another explosion had taken
Senior officials of the Home Ministry said these
bombs were not concealed properly and could be detected
easily if proper procedures had been followed.
Bangalore Commissioner of Police Shankar Bidari was not
immediately available for comment.
The BCCI had in a statement announced the decision to shift both the semi-finals to Mumbai’s DY Patil Stadium after low intensity blasts outside the Bangalore stadium, just before the start of the match on Saturday.
Heavy security arrangements have
been made in and around D Y Patil Sports Stadium in Navi Mumbai.
After reviewing the security arrangements at the
ground, Maharashtra Director General of Police (DGP) A N Roy
said all security measures have been taken to ensure the
matches pass off without any disruption. "The ticket holders
will have to come empty handed as no bags, mobiles and water
bottles will be allowed inside the ground," Roy told PTI.
The stadium authority has also been given instructions
about `Do`s and Don`ts`, Roy said adding that parking facility
has been made a bit away from the ground. However, he did not
specify how far it would be from the stadium.
Responding to a query, Roy said, "It is clear from the
fact of explosions in Bangalore that IPL is on their
(terrorists) target list. Keeping this in mind, the required
number of police deployment has been made at the venue."
He assured people of full security and appealed to
them not to panic over any rumour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- No control over SAI center and its activities, claims Haryana Sports Minister Anil Vij
- Rio Olympics: Shooter Vijay Singh expecting at least 4 medals from shooting squad
- One shot dead in Pakistan over alleged desecration of Quran
- Govt fixes December 31 deadline for retro tax settlement scheme
- United Nation's Global Citizen Festival: Priyanka Chopra talks about humanity and youth- READ