I am not aspiring for CM`s post: K’taka BJP chief
Bangalore: Asserting that his main concern
was to strengthen the ruling party, the new BJP Karnataka
president K S Eshwarappa on Thursday said he is not aspiring for
"Let me make it clear that I am not at all aspiring for
the post of Chief Minister. Strengthening the party is my main
concern," he said at his maiden press meet after assuming
charge last week.
Known for his aggressive style of functioning, Eshwarappa
has had uneasy relationship with Yeddyurappa ahead of the Lok
Sabha elections last year.
Coming out openly against dynastic politics, he had
expressed reservations over Yeddyurappa`s son B Y Raghavendra
being nominated as the party candidate from Shimoga.
Eshwarappa said though the party`s popularity is growing,
it is yet to secure "complete majority" in the 224-member
state assembly. "My target is to win not less than 155 seats
in the next elections," he said.
He said there would be no room for "any confusion or
misunderstanding within the party, which had led to Opposition
Congress and JDS to capitalise on it and exploit the
The Yeddyurappa government had faced severe crisis late
last year when dissidents demanded a change in leadership, but
it blew over after the party`s central leadership intervened.
On Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s remark that the hands
of anti-social elements attacking places of worship should be
chopped off, Eshwarappa said, "Though I do not agree with the
language used, it is the sentiment that no such sacrilege will
be tolerated that is important."
"Anybody who desecrates any religious institution in the
state will be considered a betrayer of the nation, an
anti-social element and will be dealt with accordingly," he
Yeddyurappa had made the remark after two cases of
attacks on churches at Mysore and Bhatkal in Uttara Kannada
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say