IIM-Bangalore suspends CAO for sexual harassment
Bangalore: Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIMB) has suspended the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) of the Institute, CV Indushekar Vassist, for alleged sexual harassment, IIMB sources said on Saturday.
The suspension came to light when the IIMB Director Pankaj Chandra sent an internal mail to the faculty which said "the Gender Sensitivity Committee (GSC) of the Institute inquired into the complaint against CV Indushekar Vassist, our CAO, and submitted its report."
"Based on the findings of the committee, a show cause notice has been issued to him. Pending submission of reply to the notice, he will be kept under suspension with effect from November 29, 2012".
The CAO allegedly made sexual overtures to the Medical Officer since 2009 and initially she ignored it. However, she complained to the Chairperson of the GSC in November 2010 when he continued the harassment.
She also lodged a complaint to the Director and Dean of the institute a month later, IIMB sources said.
The institute terminated her services in January this year even before an inquiry by the GSC began, charging that she was "not performing satisfactorily."
Members belonging to Vimochana, a women`s rights organisation, had staged a protest on November 29 and also met the IIMB Director and asked him to take a decision on the matter at the earliest.
The Medical Officer alleged that the decision to suspend the CAO "was taken under pressure after the recommendations from the GSC".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers