Illegal mining: FIR against three ex-K`taka CMs
New Delhi: In a major development, the Lokayukta Police on Thursday registered a case against three former Karnataka chief ministers in connection with illegal mining activity in the state.
According to reports, the Lokayukta Police registered FIR against former chief ministers SM Krishna, HD Kumarasawmy and Dharam Singh.
Admitting a private complaint filed by TJ Abraham on
December 3, Lokayukta Court Judge NK Sudhindra Rao had
directed the police to investigate it and submit a report
on or before January 6.
The complainant has alleged Krishna, who was the Chief
Minister from October 1999 to May 2004, and Dharam Singh and
Kumaraswamy permitted illegal mining for pecuniary gains.
Abraham, a city-based social activist and a businessman,
had submitted that his complaint was based on the report on
illegal mining presented to the government by then Lokayukta
Santosh Hegde in August.
With this, four former chief ministers are facing Lokayukta
police probe based on private complaints. B S Yeddyurappa was
released on bail last month after his arrest on a private
complaint alleging irregularities in land denotifications to
benefit his family members.
ADGP Rao, in a press release, said the investigation of
the case had been entrusted to a team comprising Tumkur
Lokayukta Superintendent of Police SM Jagadeesh Prasad, who
will be the chief investigating officer.
Besides the three top politicians, several top ranking IAS officers posted in the state have also been booked in the case.
Officials named in the FIR include six former managing
directors and three deputy general managers of Mysore Minerals
Limited, a public sector unit.
In New Delhi, asked to comment on the development,
Congress spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters, "I don`t think
an FIR has been registered against Krishna."
He said that the FIR has been filed following a private
complaint alleging that they facilitated illegal mining during
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!