Illegal mining: GJ Reddy, aides remanded to CBI custody till March 14
Bangalore: Jailed mining baron and former minister G Janardhana Reddy, his close associate Mehfuz Ali Khan and four other aides were produced before the CBI court at the central prison here on Friday in connection with an iron ore scam and remanded to CBI custody till March 14.
Reddy and Khan were brought here from Chanchalaguda jail in Hyderabad where they are being tried in the Obulapuram Mining Company case.
The other four aides -- government officials S Muthaiah, SP Raju, Swastik Nagaraj and Karapudi Mahesh -- were produced from the Parappana Prison itself where they have been lodged.
While Muthaiah and Raju are already in prison in connection with alleged irregularities in Reddy`s mining firm Associated Mining Company, the other two were arrested by CBI investigating the Belekeri iron ore scam earlier this month.
The court meanwhile directed CBI to question the accused in the presence of their counsels and warned it against using third degree methods.
Earlier speaking to reporters from the police vehicle in which he was being brought, Reddy dubbed the CBI as "Congress Bureau of Investigation" and alleged that the party was foisting false cases against him.
CBI sources said investigation into the Belekeri iron ore ore scam was subsequent to a Supreme Court directive in Sept 2012.
On Sep 7, 2012, the Apex Court had ordered a CBI probe into illegal extraction of 50.7 lakh metric tonnes of iron ore in 17 months from Karnataka forests, the Supreme Court had asked the state government how its agencies were unaware of the illicit mining on a massive scale going on in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video