Illegal mining: NCPNR to move SC after getting rpt
Bangalore: The National Committee for
Protection of Natural Resources on Monday said it would move the
Supreme Court after receiving a detailed report on illegal
mining at Kappat Gudda hill ranges in Gadag district and asked
Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda order a Lokayukta probe
NCPNR convenor SR Hiremath said he would move the Supreme
Court after getting a substantive report on illegal mining in
the hill ranges.
"We approached the Apex Court on the basis of a
substantive report submitted by former Lokayukta Justice
Santosh Hegde on illegal mining in Bellary. However, NCPNR
first wants to give the government a chance curb illegal
mining there," he said.
Hiremath alleged that a nexus of people`s representatives,
officials and mining mafia have looted 50 per cent of the
mineral wealth from that area, to which the state government
had remained a "silent spectator".
"We will request the Chief Minister, Assembly Speaker G
Boppaiah and Legislative Council Chairman DH Shankarmurthy to
discuss illegal mining in Kappat Gudda in the Assembly session
this month," he said.
The illegal mining has caused enormous environmental
damage in Kappat Gudda, known for its unique flora and fauna,
especially medicinal plants for centuries, Hiremath said.
"When we took up the issue of illegal mining in Bellary,
we didn`t expect ban orders on illegal mining in the state...
likewise we hope the government would take cognisance and
order Loakyukta probe into Kappat Gudda issue," he said.
While major focus would be on Kappat Gudda issue in 2012,
NCPNR`s other objective is to press for stringent action
against four former Chief Ministers SM Krishna, HD
Kumaraswamy, Dharam Singh and Yeddyurappa, Hiremath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre