IM operative involved in Stadium blasts apprehende
Bangalore: An Indian Mujahideen operative,
allegedly involved in the blasts at Chinnaswamy cricket
stadium two years ago that left 15 persons injured, has been
arrested, police said on Thursday.
The arrest of 24-year-old Kamal Hassan, alias Bilal, in
Kolkota on April 10 came during a manhunt to nab blast
mastermind Yasin Bhatkal, City Police Commissioner
Jyothiprakash Mirji said in a statement here.
Two low-intensity explosions near a packed Chinnaswamy
cricket stadium less than an hour before an IPL match left 15
persons, including five security men injured.
Hassan, a native of Bihar, was brought to Bangalore and
produced before the jurisdictional magistrate which remanded
him to police custody, Mirji said.
Hassan is a member of Indian Mujahideen’s Bihar cell and a
close associate of Bhatkal who is in charge of IM`s urban
operations in India.
He was part of the conspiracy hatched in Bihar and Delhi
in 2009 of which the Chinnaswamy Stadium blasts on April 17,
2010, was a part, the Commissioner said.
Hassan was indoctrinated to Jihadi activities by Bhatkal
and tasked with looking for hideouts in Bihar and Delhi for
all IM operatives involved in the stadium blasts and the
terror attack at Jama Masjid in Delhi on Sept 19 2010, he
Being an expert in preparing ammunition/cartridges used in
firearms, he worked in the weapons factory of Bhatkal`s
father-in-law in Delhi on his instructions.
Hassan`s movement, along with that of Bhatkal, was noticed
in Bihar, Kolkata, Nepal, Maharastra, Mumbai, Uttar Pradesh,
Delhi and other places. Efforts are on to apprehend Bhatkal,
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata