IM operative involved in Stadium blasts apprehende
Bangalore: An Indian Mujahideen operative,
allegedly involved in the blasts at Chinnaswamy cricket
stadium two years ago that left 15 persons injured, has been
arrested, police said on Thursday.
The arrest of 24-year-old Kamal Hassan, alias Bilal, in
Kolkota on April 10 came during a manhunt to nab blast
mastermind Yasin Bhatkal, City Police Commissioner
Jyothiprakash Mirji said in a statement here.
Two low-intensity explosions near a packed Chinnaswamy
cricket stadium less than an hour before an IPL match left 15
persons, including five security men injured.
Hassan, a native of Bihar, was brought to Bangalore and
produced before the jurisdictional magistrate which remanded
him to police custody, Mirji said.
Hassan is a member of Indian Mujahideen’s Bihar cell and a
close associate of Bhatkal who is in charge of IM`s urban
operations in India.
He was part of the conspiracy hatched in Bihar and Delhi
in 2009 of which the Chinnaswamy Stadium blasts on April 17,
2010, was a part, the Commissioner said.
Hassan was indoctrinated to Jihadi activities by Bhatkal
and tasked with looking for hideouts in Bihar and Delhi for
all IM operatives involved in the stadium blasts and the
terror attack at Jama Masjid in Delhi on Sept 19 2010, he
Being an expert in preparing ammunition/cartridges used in
firearms, he worked in the weapons factory of Bhatkal`s
father-in-law in Delhi on his instructions.
Hassan`s movement, along with that of Bhatkal, was noticed
in Bihar, Kolkata, Nepal, Maharastra, Mumbai, Uttar Pradesh,
Delhi and other places. Efforts are on to apprehend Bhatkal,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...