Jagadish Shettar is new BJP legislature party leader
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar was on Tuesday unanimously elected leader of the legislature party of BJP, which suffered an ignominious defeat in the recent state Assembly polls losing power to Congress.
BJP had projected Shettar as its chief ministerial candidate in the elections keeping an eye on the Lingayat community vote base but it was dented by former party strongman BS Yeddyurappa, also from the same caste.
Former Deputy Chief Minister R Ashoka was chosen the deputy leader, state BJP spokesman Ayanur Manjunath told reporters after a meeting of the BJP Legislature party, preceded by a meeting of MLCs and MPs to take stock of the electoral performance.
Former BJP President Nitin Gadkari addressed the legislators at the "introspection" session.
In the Legislative Council, former Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda is the leader and KB Shanappa his deputy, Manjunath said.
He said Congress had "fired from the shoulders" of Yeddyurappa against BJP. Yeddyurappa`s Karnataka Janatha Paksha had split the votes garnering about 10 per cent.
Manjunath said Yeddyurappa`s single goal of "finishing" BJP showed "bankruptcy" of his political thinking.
He said new Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had shown his "hasty tendency" by announcing a bonanza of schemes costing Rs 4,409 crore when the ministry had not been constituted. "It would amount to a decision of an individual, not of the cabinet", he said.
Manjunath said the BJP would strongly fight both inside and outside the legislature if the new government tried to reverse the pro-people programmes of its rule.
Women were feeling insecure even in the state
capital, where incidents of rape and eve-teasing increased, Goswami said while accusing the state administration of depriving the poor masses of the schemes launched by the BJP-headed previous coalition government.
He claimed that the most popular scheme ‘Mukhyamantri Dal-Bhat Yojna’, a scheme launched by former Chief Minister Arjun Munda to provide meal at cheap price, was shelved by the state administration.
Besides, the state administration was trying to communalise the administration by implementing Sachar Committee recommendation in Jharkhand instead of taking steps to dissolve the assembly and recommend fresh election, Goswami alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’