Jagadish Shettar rules out Karnataka Assembly dissolution
Hubli/Shimoga: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Sunday ruled out dissolving the state Assembly even as uncertainty loomed over the future of his government after 13 BJP MLAs openly backed former party strongman BS Yeddyurappa.
"I still command the support of 120 MLAs. There is no question of dissolving the Assembly," Shettar told reporters at Hubli rejecting the Opposition`s demand for his resignation after more than a dozen BJP MLAs shared the dais with Yeddyurappa at the launch of his Karnataka Janata Party at Haveri.
Seeking to downplay the open defiance by 13 MLAs who participated in the KJP-launch rally, Shettar said "only 10-12 MLAs attended (the event)."
At Shimoga, Deputy Chief Minister and state unit BJP President KS Eswarappa dared Yeddyurappa to topple the Shettar government.
Slamming Yeddyurappa, whom he described as a "paper tiger", he asked, "where are the 60 MLAs?" Eswarappa was referring to the Lingayat strongman`s claim that at least 60 legislators supported him.
Eswarappa also said there was no question of dissolving the Assembly and challenged the Congress-JDS-KJP to bring down the state government.
Eswarappa said top BJP leaders would meet at Belgaum on December 12 to debate on various issues including the act of indiscipline by some of the party legislators and action to be taken against them.
In the 224-member Karnataka Assembly, BJP has a strength of 118, Congress 71, JDS 26, Independents seven and two vacancies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark