Jagadish Shettar rules out Karnataka Assembly dissolution
Hubli/Shimoga: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Sunday ruled out dissolving the state Assembly even as uncertainty loomed over the future of his government after 13 BJP MLAs openly backed former party strongman BS Yeddyurappa.
"I still command the support of 120 MLAs. There is no question of dissolving the Assembly," Shettar told reporters at Hubli rejecting the Opposition`s demand for his resignation after more than a dozen BJP MLAs shared the dais with Yeddyurappa at the launch of his Karnataka Janata Party at Haveri.
Seeking to downplay the open defiance by 13 MLAs who participated in the KJP-launch rally, Shettar said "only 10-12 MLAs attended (the event)."
At Shimoga, Deputy Chief Minister and state unit BJP President KS Eswarappa dared Yeddyurappa to topple the Shettar government.
Slamming Yeddyurappa, whom he described as a "paper tiger", he asked, "where are the 60 MLAs?" Eswarappa was referring to the Lingayat strongman`s claim that at least 60 legislators supported him.
Eswarappa also said there was no question of dissolving the Assembly and challenged the Congress-JDS-KJP to bring down the state government.
Eswarappa said top BJP leaders would meet at Belgaum on December 12 to debate on various issues including the act of indiscipline by some of the party legislators and action to be taken against them.
In the 224-member Karnataka Assembly, BJP has a strength of 118, Congress 71, JDS 26, Independents seven and two vacancies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune