Jan Lokpal needs serious debate in Parl: Tharoor
Bangalore: Raising questions about Team
Anna`s Jan Lokpal Bill, former union minister Sashi Tharoor
on Saturday said a serious debate was needed in Parliament when the
proposed legislation comes up before it.
"At the moment, in their (Team Anna) draft it looks like a
supra-institution which is a law unto itself. All the powers -
power to investigate, prosecute and punish - are vested in
one person," he said on the sidelines of a function here.
Tharoor, however, appreciated Anna Hazare for creating
social awakening about corruption. "I am pleased about Anna
Hazare for creating social awakening about corruption, but the
specific details of Jan Lokpal Bill... I am not cent per cent
convinced...," he said.
It has "serious dangers" that needed to be examined by the
Standing Committee and Parliament, the Congress MP said adding
Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal does very little to tackle small-ticket
corruption faced by ordinary people on day-to-day basis.
"Big-ticket corruption is not the only kind of corruption
in the country. We need to do a great deal to tackle
corruption at the top and the bottom levels," he added.
On Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh`s remarks that
the anti-corruption stir by Hazare and yoga guru Baba Ramdev
were part of an over-all plan of RSS-BJP to divert attention
from Sangh`s "terror links, Tharoor said he would not accuse
any body (Team Anna).
"Ours is a big country and we cannot be a one-issue
country. We should be able to address number of other issues.
So I am not going to accuse anybody (Team Anna) of diverting
people`s attention," he said.
On senior BJP leaders LK Advani`s Jan Chetana Yatra, he
said it had failed to contribute to the process of
investigating corruption and punishing wrongdoers.
"Seizing an opportunity of a political mood and mounting on
a yatra is job of a politician, but I don`t see Advani`s yatra
checking corruption," Tharoor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'