Janardhana Reddy in CBI custody till March 12
Bangalore: Former Bharatiya Janata Party minister in Karnataka and billionaire mine owner Gali Janardhana Reddy was on Friday sent to the custody of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) till March 12 in connection with an illegal mining case.
Bangalore`s additional civil and sessions court judge BM Angadi accepted the CBI plea for custody of Reddy for interrogation regarding illegal iron ore mining in Karnataka.
Reddy was produced in Angadi`s court by the CBI, which brought him to Bangalore early Friday from Chanchalaguda jail in Hyderabad, about 600 km from here.
Reddy and his wife Lakshi Aruna among others are facing charges illegal mining by the Association Mining Co owned by the couple. The CBI registered the case against them in October last year.
The CBI which is investigating illegal mining issue in the state under directions from Supreme Court has registered FIR against 21 persons including former minister and Congress leader V Muniyappa.
Reddy along with Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) Managing Director BV Srinivasa Reddy was arrested and remanded to judicial custody in Hyderabad since September five and lodged in Chanchalaguda jail there.
The CBI had in December last charge-sheeted the Reddys and three others in the OMC case accusing them of doctoring documents and hatching a conspiracy along with some public servants violating the mining lease agreements.
According to the charge sheet, alleged illegal mining and extraction to the tune of 29.30 lakh tonne of iron-ore was carried out in several areas in Karnataka other than 68.5 hectares leased out to OMC in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh.
The designated CBI court in Bangalore had recently issued a warrant for producing Reddy before it on March 2.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'