JD-S corporator shot dead in Bangalore
Bangalore: Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) Bangalore city corporator Divan Ali was shot dead on Sunday morning in a busy south Bangalore area, police said.
Ali, who had several criminal cases against him, was fired upon at Yarabnagar in Banashankari area which he represented in the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (Greater Bangalore City Corporation), a spokesperson of the civic body said.
The incident occurred around 11.30 am and Ali, around 35, died on the spot, the spokesperson added.
Asked whether gang-rivalry was behind the killing, south Bangalore Deputy Police Commissioner Sonia Narang told reporters at the spot: "It is too early to say. We are investigating all angles."
JD-S state president and former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy told Kannada TV channels that he suspected political rivalry and a police hand behind the killing.
Kumaraswamy, who is a member of the Lok Sabha, said he was in London as part of a parliamentary delegation and was yet to get full details of the incident. However, he said: "Ali had told me that he feared for his life from the police."
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi