JD-S corporator shot dead in Bangalore
Bangalore: Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) Bangalore city corporator Divan Ali was shot dead on Sunday morning in a busy south Bangalore area, police said.
Ali, who had several criminal cases against him, was fired upon at Yarabnagar in Banashankari area which he represented in the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (Greater Bangalore City Corporation), a spokesperson of the civic body said.
The incident occurred around 11.30 am and Ali, around 35, died on the spot, the spokesperson added.
Asked whether gang-rivalry was behind the killing, south Bangalore Deputy Police Commissioner Sonia Narang told reporters at the spot: "It is too early to say. We are investigating all angles."
JD-S state president and former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy told Kannada TV channels that he suspected political rivalry and a police hand behind the killing.
Kumaraswamy, who is a member of the Lok Sabha, said he was in London as part of a parliamentary delegation and was yet to get full details of the incident. However, he said: "Ali had told me that he feared for his life from the police."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof