JD-S corporator shot dead in Bangalore
Bangalore: Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) Bangalore city corporator Divan Ali was shot dead on Sunday morning in a busy south Bangalore area, police said.
Ali, who had several criminal cases against him, was fired upon at Yarabnagar in Banashankari area which he represented in the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (Greater Bangalore City Corporation), a spokesperson of the civic body said.
The incident occurred around 11.30 am and Ali, around 35, died on the spot, the spokesperson added.
Asked whether gang-rivalry was behind the killing, south Bangalore Deputy Police Commissioner Sonia Narang told reporters at the spot: "It is too early to say. We are investigating all angles."
JD-S state president and former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy told Kannada TV channels that he suspected political rivalry and a police hand behind the killing.
Kumaraswamy, who is a member of the Lok Sabha, said he was in London as part of a parliamentary delegation and was yet to get full details of the incident. However, he said: "Ali had told me that he feared for his life from the police."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India