JDS leader Iqbal Ansari joins Congress
Bangalore: The Congress in Karnataka got a
shot in the arm with former state minister and JDS leader
Iqbal Ansari joining the party today.
Welcoming him into the party fold, Karnataka Pradesh
Congress Committee president R V Deshpande said Ansari had
"earned a good name as a minister and worked for the welfare
of minorities and youth in his district."
He expressed confidence that Ansari, who hails from
Koppal district, would work towards strengthening the party in
Meanwhile, Ansari said he joined Congress of his own
volition as he felt "it was better to join a party that needed
him rather than be in a party where he was not required".
"I served the JDS to the best of my ability and even JDS
chief H D Deve Gowda and state unit president H D Kumaraswamy
recognised my work. But a recent statement made by Gowda that
if I left the party, it would not make any difference, made me
feel that I was no longer needed and, therefore, decided to
join Congress where my presence is required," he said.
Along with Ansari, several of his followers, including 22
municipal councillors from Gangavathi and two from Kushtagi in
Koppal District, joined the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog