JD(S) leader`s remarks about actress Ramya stirs controversy
Mandya (Karnataka): Stoking a controversy, a local JD(S) leader on Friday made a personal attack on multi-lingual actress Ramya, who is the Congress candidate for Mandya Lok Sabha seat in the Aug 21 by-poll, inviting strong condemnation for taking the campaign to such a low.
M Srinivas` comments targeting the actress came at a party workers` meeting at Srirangapatna in Mandya district when making a comparison between JD(S) candidate C S Puttaraju and Ramya.
"...She does not know where she hails from.... She does not know the name of her caste," Srinivas said sandwiching a comment about her lineage in between these remarks.
He said Ramya neither knew about the people of Mandya district nor did she belong to it. "...Such a woman is the Congress candidate.."
"Disgusting", said State Housing Minister Ambareesh while flaying Srinivas` remarks as "distasteful".
"..One should not speak about a woman in such a manner.."
State Congress leader D K Shivakumar said Srinivas` remarks reflected the "culture" of JD(S) and it was an insult to women. Senior JD(S) leaders should respond, he said.
Ramya, who has acted mostly in Kannada films as also in Tamil and Telugu, chose not to respond.
By-polls are being held for Mandya and Bangalore Rural Lok Sabha constituencies. After getting elected to legislative assembly in May, former Chief Minister H D Kumarswamy had resigned his Bangalore Rural seat, while his party colleague N Cheluvarayaswamy did so from Mandya, causing the by-polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing