Jilted lover on the run arrested for killing classmate
Bangalore: A 40-year-old jilted lover, who was absconding for the past four-five years after being sentenced to life for the murder of his class-mate 16 years ago, has been arrested, police said on Wednesday.
Rajeshkumar Kaimal, hailing from Pathanamthitta district of Kerala, stabbed Pooja Kher, both studying at a management college here, to death in a fit of rage at her hostel room in March 1996 after picking up a quarrel, according to police.
He did not like her befriending other students and had warned her several times but could not change her mind.
Police filed a charge-sheet against him in a court which, however, had acquitted him, and the State had challenged it in a higher court, which set aside the lower court`s order and sentenced him to life imprisonment in 2008.
Though warrants had been issued several times, police could not trace Kaimal.
After his acquittal in 2001, he fled to Dubai and was staying there, police said, adding, he was arrested yesterday when he came to India on pilgrimage, and is currently on judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog