Jilted lover on the run arrested for killing classmate
Bangalore: A 40-year-old jilted lover, who was absconding for the past four-five years after being sentenced to life for the murder of his class-mate 16 years ago, has been arrested, police said on Wednesday.
Rajeshkumar Kaimal, hailing from Pathanamthitta district of Kerala, stabbed Pooja Kher, both studying at a management college here, to death in a fit of rage at her hostel room in March 1996 after picking up a quarrel, according to police.
He did not like her befriending other students and had warned her several times but could not change her mind.
Police filed a charge-sheet against him in a court which, however, had acquitted him, and the State had challenged it in a higher court, which set aside the lower court`s order and sentenced him to life imprisonment in 2008.
Though warrants had been issued several times, police could not trace Kaimal.
After his acquittal in 2001, he fled to Dubai and was staying there, police said, adding, he was arrested yesterday when he came to India on pilgrimage, and is currently on judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority