K S Eshwarappa elected as Karnataka BJP chief
Bangalore: Karnataka Energy Minister K S
Eshwarappa, a backward class leader and staunch RSS activist,
was today unanimously elected the President of the state unit
of the ruling BJP.
BJP National General Secretary V K Goel, also in-charge
of party affairs in Karnataka, announced the election of
Eshwarappa, who was the only nomination filed for the post, at
a press conference here.
According to party sources, Eshwarappa is likely to give
up his ministerial post following his election as state unit
Eshwarappa has had uneasy relationship with Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa and had expressed reservations over
his son B Y Raghavendra`s nomination as the party`s candidate
in last year`s Lok Sabha elections, raising the issue of
A senior BJP leader, Eshwarappa belongs to the backward
Kuruba community, which form the third largest chunk of the
state`s population after Lingayats and Vokaligas.
The move to bring him back as the state unit chief, a
post he had held in 1993 and 1995, is seen as part of the
BJP`s strategy to counter opposition Congress leader in the
assembly Siddaramaiah, who also hails from the same community.
Eshwarappa, who will have a three-year term, succeeds
Sadananda Gowda, a Lok Sabha member, whose term as the state
unit chief ended last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook