Kannada actress accuses Sadananda Gowda's son Karthik of raping her, claims to be his wife
Bangalore: A woman, who was a small-time model and has acted in a Kannada film as a heroine, has claimed that she is married to Railway Minister DV Sadananda Gowda's son Karthik and demanded that the Minister's family accept her as its daughter-in-law.
The woman named Maithreya, while speaking to the media said that she met Karthik while her family was looking for a groom and on 05 June 2014 they both tied the knot.
Maithreya further claimed that they both knew each other since 8 May 2014 and became very good friends, following which Karthik married her.
Meanwhile, speaking to ANI, model's lawyer GP Raju said that her client Maithreya got the information of Karthik's engagement to another woman through media.
Saying that the it is a clear case of cheating on Karthik's part, the lawyer claimed that friends of the minister's son approached Maithreya and asked her not to go to the media.
The startling claims has shook the Gowda family as it came on a day when Karthik got engaged to another woman at a ceremony at Kushalnagar in Kodagu District on Wednesday.
The Railway Minister expressed shock over the woman's claims and suspected a conspiracy and attempt to blackmail. Karthik has also rejected the woman's claim.
Sadananda Gowda told reporters He suspected "a big conspiracy" adding, "I feel hurt. My life is an open book. I will not lie or cheat public...I am shocked...This kind of blackmail."
"I will speak to my son...I have to think if a girl has to blackmail...If Sadananda Gowda becomes a scapegoat...", he said.
Reacting to the woman's claims, Karthik said, "There is nothing like that...My father is a respectable man...Why should I spoil it."
Commenting on the incident, former National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Mamta Sharma demanded thorough investigation into the claims of the Kannada actress.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Shaina NC refused to comment on the incident saying it is a personal matter.
Former Aam Aadmi Party leader Shazia Ilmi pitched for a fair probe saying that the investigation shouldn't be coloured in anyway as a Railway Minister’s son is involved.
Bangalore Police Commissioner MN Reddi said: "She has filed a complaint in RT Nagar police station against Karthik Gowda, Sadananda Gowda's son, for allegedly raping and cheating her."
The police have booked Karthik under sections 420 (cheating) and 376 (punishment for rape) of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list