Karna Assembly Speaker Jagadish Shettar to resign
Bangalore: Karnataka Assembly Speaker
Jagadish Shettar is resigning from the post tomorrow paving
the way for his induction into state Cabinet as part of the
compromise formula evolved by central BJP leaders to end the
recent crisis triggered by dissidents demanding change in
leadership in the state.
Shettar was expected to be sworn-in as a Cabinet Minister
on Tuesday. "He will formally resign tomorrow," a source close
to him said today.
Shettar yesterday said in Hubli that he would resign as
the Speaker on November 16 and take oath as Minister either on
November 17 or 18.
Dissidents spearheading the demand for removal of Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa earlier this month had propped up the
candidature of Shettar as the replacement.
It was no secret that Shettar, a former state BJP state
unit president, had reluctantly become the Speaker in May last
year when the first BJP Government in south was ushered in.
He saw the move as a ploy by Yeddyurappa to curtail his
political growth as being the Speaker puts limitations on him
of being active in politics.
Meanwhile, Law, Parliamentary Affairs and Urban
Development Minister S Suresh Kumar denied his name was being
considered for the Speaker`s post.
"No body has discussed it with me; neither have I any
indication," he told reporters here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you