Karna crisis snowballs; Governor recommends President`s rule
Bangalore/ New Delhi: In a move which could see political temperatures soaring in the coming days in Karnataka, Governor H R Bhardwaj on Sunday evening recommended imposition of President`s rule in the state.
The Governor has despatched a "special report" on the unfolding political situation in the state in the aftermath of the Supreme Court setting aside disqualification of 16 MLAs even as 11 of the rebel BJP MLAs pledged their "unconditional" support to the B S Yeddyurappa government.
"In the context of recent judgement of the Supreme Court in the matter of disqualification of MLAs on May 13, 2011 and its implications to the developments in the state, a special report has been sent to the Centre", a brief communiqué issued by Raj Bhavan said.
A Raj Bhavan source disclosed that Bhardwaj in his report has recommended imposition of central rule.
This is the second time that Bhardwaj has recommended imposition of President`s rule in the state.
In October last year, the Governor made such a recommendation after 16 MLAs -- eleven from BJP and five independents -- submitted him a letter withdrawing support to the government led by Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa.
The recommendation by the Governor has stunned the BJP which was heaving a sigh of relief after roping in the support of 11 of its rebels.
The MLAs, who have been camping in Delhi for the past couple of days, shot off a letter to Governor H R Bhardwaj conveying their decision to support the BJP government in the state.
Earlier in the day Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa said he had absolute majority in the House. He said though there was no need for a trust vote, "if the Governor wants it, I am duty bound to oblige him".
At a press conference, Karnataka government representative Dhananjay Kumar displayed copies of the relevant faxes sent to the Governor.
He said there was no threat to the Yeddyurappa government, claiming that the party enjoyed clear majority in the House.
There was high drama at the Raj Bhavan as the rebels, who arrived there straight from the airport after landing from New Delhi, and several ministers had to wait for more than half-an-hour at the gates for an appointment.
The 16 legislators were disqualified last year after they told the Governor that they had lost confidence in Yeddyurappa.
The Supreme Court on Friday quashed the disqualification of 16 MLAs ahead of the controversial October 2010 no trust motion, saying the Speaker acted in "hot haste" to favour Yeddyurappa.
The BJP government faced a crisis after the Supreme Court on Friday quashed the disqualification of 11 rebel BJP MLAs and five Independents by the Speaker in October, 2010.
The BJP Government had won a second trust vote on October 14, 2010 by a narrow margin after the Governor gave a second chance to the Chief Minister to prove his majority on the floor of the house. The 11 BJP and 5 Independent MLAs were not allowed to vote then.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark