Karna Gram panchayats` meetings to go live on cable TV
Bangalore: In an initiative aimed at offering a more transparent and result-oriented system of governance, proceedings of meetings of as many as 1,000 gram panchayats in Karnataka will go live over cable TV from March 1 next.
In the first phase, it was planned to telecast live proceedings of 1,000 gram panchayats, state Rural Development and Panchayatraj Minister H K Patil said today.
Out of the 5,600-odd gram panchayats, about 3,500 have access to Cable Television and their proceedings would be telecast live, he said.
The government has decided to release Rs 10 crore for the project with immediate effect, he said, adding that each gram panchayat will get between Rs 1.50 lakh and Rs 2 lakh.
The live proceedings will offer a more transparent and result-oriented system of governance, Patil said. "People (Gram Panchayat members) will be very careful when others are looking at them," he added.
The Minister said he was inspired by such an exercise taken up by Shirguppi and Hulakoti gram panchayats.
On Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS), he said the government had requested the Centre to release Rs 900 crore to implement the project.
Of the Rs 2,133 crore allocated, the state had spent Rs 1,187 crore for taking up works under MGNREGS, Patil said. "We are spending, on an average, Rs 20 crore every day. About 70,000 works under the scheme are going on in the state."
The government has instructed the district officials to make payments in 15 days, Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues