Karna HC stays proceedings against Owaisi in court
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court Friday stayed for three weeks proceedings against Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi in a lower court here in connection with a complaint filed against him for his alleged hate speech.
Hearing a criminal petition by Owaisi seeking quashing of the proceedings against him, Justice K N Keshavanarayana stayed for three weeks the proceedings pending before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) court.
In January this year, the CMM court had summoned Owaisi to appear before it in connection complaint lodged by advocates Dilip Kumar and Dharmapal praying for prosecuting Owaisi for his hate speech at a public meeting in Adilabad in Andra Pradesh.
Owaisi, who has earlier been booked by Andhra Pradesh police on charges of sedition among others, was arrested in January.
Meanwhile, CMM Rajashekhar V Patil today reserved his
orders for March 4 on the complaint against Owaisi.
Patil had on February 23 directed Owaisi to appear before the court today while keeping aside the application filed by him seeking exemption from personal appearance on health grounds.
Owaisi`s counsel Mohammad Jaffer Shah had sought two weeks time for appearing before the court as his client has been advised bed rest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Hillary Clinton makes history as first woman White House nominee
- Venezuela government seeks to ban opposition over recall 'fraud'
- WHO declares Brazil free of measles
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister