Karna HC stays proceedings against Owaisi in court
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court Friday stayed for three weeks proceedings against Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi in a lower court here in connection with a complaint filed against him for his alleged hate speech.
Hearing a criminal petition by Owaisi seeking quashing of the proceedings against him, Justice K N Keshavanarayana stayed for three weeks the proceedings pending before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) court.
In January this year, the CMM court had summoned Owaisi to appear before it in connection complaint lodged by advocates Dilip Kumar and Dharmapal praying for prosecuting Owaisi for his hate speech at a public meeting in Adilabad in Andra Pradesh.
Owaisi, who has earlier been booked by Andhra Pradesh police on charges of sedition among others, was arrested in January.
Meanwhile, CMM Rajashekhar V Patil today reserved his
orders for March 4 on the complaint against Owaisi.
Patil had on February 23 directed Owaisi to appear before the court today while keeping aside the application filed by him seeking exemption from personal appearance on health grounds.
Owaisi`s counsel Mohammad Jaffer Shah had sought two weeks time for appearing before the court as his client has been advised bed rest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM