Karna HC stays proceedings against Owaisi in court
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court Friday stayed for three weeks proceedings against Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi in a lower court here in connection with a complaint filed against him for his alleged hate speech.
Hearing a criminal petition by Owaisi seeking quashing of the proceedings against him, Justice K N Keshavanarayana stayed for three weeks the proceedings pending before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) court.
In January this year, the CMM court had summoned Owaisi to appear before it in connection complaint lodged by advocates Dilip Kumar and Dharmapal praying for prosecuting Owaisi for his hate speech at a public meeting in Adilabad in Andra Pradesh.
Owaisi, who has earlier been booked by Andhra Pradesh police on charges of sedition among others, was arrested in January.
Meanwhile, CMM Rajashekhar V Patil today reserved his
orders for March 4 on the complaint against Owaisi.
Patil had on February 23 directed Owaisi to appear before the court today while keeping aside the application filed by him seeking exemption from personal appearance on health grounds.
Owaisi`s counsel Mohammad Jaffer Shah had sought two weeks time for appearing before the court as his client has been advised bed rest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know