Karnataka: 13 rebel BJP MLAs to join BSY’s party
Bangalore: Former Karnataka chief minister and Lingayat strongman BS Yeddyurappa continues to tear apart the ruling BJP with thirteen of its rebel MLAs, who had resigned from the party, set to take oath for membership of his Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) on Thursday.
The resignations of 12 BJP MLAs was on Wednesday accepted by the State Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah, who held one back on technical grounds.
The resignations have left the Jagdish Shettar government with a wafer-thin majority in the State Assembly, and if more party MLAs quit, the BJP would have to depend on independents for survival.
The BJP strength now stands at 106, including the Speaker, in the 225-member Assembly. Two seats are vacant.
The party has the support of one of the seven independents, who is also a Cabinet minister. There is one nominated member who belongs to the BJP. The Congress has 71 members, and the Janata Dal-Secular 26.
Both Shettar and state BJP chief KS Eshwarappa have expressed confidence that there is no threat to the BJP government although it has a wafer-thin majority in the House.
The two also appeared confident that the 10-day Budget Session would be held as scheduled, beginning February 4.Talking to reporters, Eshwarappa said the Chief Minister would present the 2013-14 Budget on Feb 8.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar yesterday said that no more resignations were expected from the ruling BJP, though speculation continued that several party law makers would soon quit and join the 13 who have already resigned.
The BJP-led Karnataka government has been going through a major crisis since Yeddyurappa resigned and launched his own party in December, 2012. Many of his loyalists in the BJP even attended the convention where the KJP was launched.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery