Karnataka affairs exposes BJP`s degeneration: Moil
Nagpur: Congress leader and Union Minister M Veerappa Moily on Friday said the recent political developments in BJP-ruled Karnataka have "badly exposed" the saffron outfit`s "degeneration".
"The recent political crisis in Karnataka has badly exposed the BJP as a whole as the party has degenerated and no one is accountable to the party there," he said.
"Former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa himself selected his successor last year and then demanded his ouster even as the BJP`s national leadership watched helplessly," Moily, who was here for a function, told reporters.
Yeddyurappa first selected Sadanand Gowda and later wanted himself to be reinstated as chief minister. He then wanted Gowda to quit and replaced by his another loyalist Jagadish Shettar. All these show BJP in a poor light, the former Karnataka CM said.
"Yeddyurappa`s tenure was marred by corruption and caste politics. Karnataka, once politically stable and prosperous state, was now facing governance-related problems," he said.
Congress is strengthening its base in the southern state, where it hopes to do well in the next Assembly polls. In the last Assembly elections, BJP was short of majority but brought independents into its fold to shore up numbers, Moily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport