Karnataka announces week-long cease-fire in anti-Naxal operations
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Saturday announced a week-long ceasefire from Monday in anti-Naxal operations to facilitate surrender of Maoists, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar announced on Saturday.
The ceasefire would take effect at 6 am on September 17 and would be in force till 6 pm on September 23, he told reporters here.
The measure has been taken as some Naxalites have sent a message that they desire to surrender and the government is giving them an opportunity do so, Shettar said.
Naxals are active in Western Ghat forests, particulary in Dakshina Kannada and Chikmagalur districts, officials said.
Shettar did not say how many Naxalites would surrender but added that key operatives had expressed a desire to lay down arms.
Karnataka already has a surrender policy for Naxalites.
The Chief Minister said the government is willing to give protection to surrendered Naxalites, encourage them to return to the mainstream and lead a normal life.
Defending the ceasefire decision, he said "we have not forced them. They have come forward. We have to encourage them (to surrender)".
The government would give them a package within the legal framework and as per the surrender policy.
Asked if criminal cases against them would be withdrawn, Shettar said it depends, noting that in case there are murder charges, the state can`t interfere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH