Karnataka asked to give 4 tmc of water to TN over 15 days
New Delhi: The Cauvery Monitoring Committee on Wednesday directed Karnataka to release four tmc of water to Tamil Nadu over the next fortnight even as it asked the latter to make a written submission before the panel on issues it wants to be addressed.
At a meeting of the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) here, Karnataka was asked to release four thousand million cubic feet (tmc) of water to Tamil Nadu between November 1 and 15.
The four-page order also said that any shortfall - which will be calculated tomorrow - should also be provided to Tamil Nadu during the period.
During its October 11 meeting, the CMC had said Tamil Nadu should get 8.85 tmc of water between October 16 and 31. "A shortfall, if any, would be calculated tomorrow as the last award was applicable till today," an official said.
The next meeting will be held here on November 15.
On Supreme Court orders, the CMC headed by Secretary, Water Resources asked Tamil Nadu to make a written submission before the panel by November 2 on issues it wants to be addressed.
When representatives of Tamil Nadu raised the issues, they were asked to make a written submission.
"We hereby direct CMC to examine all issues as may be raised on behalf of the states and make recommendations," a bench of justices DK Jain and JS Khehar had said yesterday.
Tamil Nadu`s counsel had placed a copy of the October 26 letter addressed by Water Resource Secretary to state`s Chief Secretary expressing reservation on CMC going into question of shortfall of water in its October 31 meeting when the matter was sub-judice before the apex court.
The bench said both the states shall comply with all the recommendations made by the CMC in letter and spirit.
The Monitoring Committee consists of Union Water Resources Secretary as Chairperson, Chief Secretaries and Chief Engineers of the basin states and Chairman, Central Water Commission as members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30