Karnataka assembly by-polls: 22 candidates file nominations
Bangalore: A total of 22 candidates have filed nominations for the August 21 by-elections to three assembly seats in Karnataka.
Four persons have filed their nominations for by-elections to Bellary, five for Chikkodi-Sadalga and 13 for Shikaripura, Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told.
Today was the last day for the filing of nominations where by-elections are being held after sitting MLAs B S Yeddyurappa (Shikaripura), Prakash Hukkeri (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and B Sriramulu (Bellary) vacated them, consequent to their election to Lok Sabha.
In this by-election, straight contest is likely to be between BJP and ruling Congress as Janata Dal Secular has decided against fielding candidates citing funds crunch.
BJP has fielded B Y Raghavendra (Shikaripura), Mahantesh Kavatagimath (Chikkodi-Sadalga) and Oblesh (Bellary) as its candidates, while Congress has fielded Ganesh Prakash Hukkeri (Chikkodi-Sadalga), N Y Gopalakrishna (Bellary) and H S Shanthaveerappa Gowda (Shikaripura).
August 6 is the last date for withdrawal of candidature, and counting of votes will be on August 25.
The by-elections is tagged as another litmus test for Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and his government, after the unimpressive show of the ruling Congress in the Lok Sabha elections in which it could notch up only nine out of the 28 seats. BJP had won 17 seats and JDS two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi