Karnataka Assembly polls: Yeddyurappa releases 1st list of candidates
Bangalore: The Karnataka Janata Paksha (KJP) headed by former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa on Thursday released its first list of 69 candidates for the May 05 Assembly Elections.
Beating the ruling BJP and the Opposition Congress in the move, Yeddyurappa told reporters that he will fight from his traditional Shikaripura constituency in Shimoga district.
The former chief minister`s trusted lieutenant Shobha Karandlaje, whose name figures in the list announced a day after the Election Commission declared the single phase poll schedule, will contest from Rajajinagar in Bangalore.
Out of the 69 candidates, three are women, 14 belong to the SC and eight to the ST, besides three Muslims and a Christian, Yedurappa said.
The Congress, the BJP and the JDS are still engaged in the process of selecting candidates.
The KJP will not have truck with any other party and will contest all 224 Assembly seats, said Yeddyurappa, whose party did damage to the BJP in the recently concluded Urban Local Bodies polls, but failed to make a mark on its own.
"I am confident that the party will gain majority," he said.
The KJP is in touch with pro-Kannada and various other organisations fighting for the cause of state`s land, water and farmers, he said adding, "We have had three rounds of talks with these organisations and they have expressed their eagerness to join hands with us."
The process is on and the second list of candidates will be announced soon, Yeddyurappa said.
Asked when other BJP ministers and legislators, apart from those who had already joined hands with him, are expected to join the KJP, Yeddyurappa added, "wait and watch”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800