Karnataka Assembly rocked by issue of alleged assault on cops by Congress MLA
Bangalore: The Karnataka Assembly was adjourned on Friday to July 07 as it plunged into pandemonium after agitated BJP members demanded arrest of a ruling Congress MLA, who is facing a criminal case along with six supporters for alleged assault of two police constables in a midnight bar brawl.
As the House assembled, BJP insisted that the issue be taken up before the Question Hour and accused the government of shielding MLA Vijayanand Kashpannavar, who is reported absconding since the July 2 incident landed him in trouble.
"It is for everybody to see. The Congress legislator is available to media for bytes, but the government says he is absconding. It is hard to believe. This only smacks of suspicion that the government is protecting the accused MLA," opposition BJP leader Jagadish Shettar said.
He charged the MLA was not being arrested inspite of his whereabouts being known as government wants to give him ample time to get an anticipatory bail. He said the MLA`s conduct and government`s inaction has demoralised the police force.
A case of assault has been registered against Kashappanavar and his six supporters for allegedly attacking constables - Kiran Kumar and Prashanth Naik - at a high-profile bar when they objected to a party that was continuing past midnight on July 2.
Taking exception to the BJP`s demand that the matter be taken up before the Question Hour, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah described it as "a very dangerous precedent".
"We needn`t learn the lesson of propriety from the BJP, whose members were caught watching bluefilm clippings in the House, " Siddaramaiah said.
He was referring to the incident during the BJP rule when some members were accused of watching bluefilm clippings on their mobile phones during the session.
This enraged BJP members including Shettar who trooped into the well of the House raising slogans against Siddaramaiah and government for failing to arrest Kashappanavar.
Speaker Kagodu Thimappa then adjourned the House to Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam