Karnataka BJP issues whip to its MLAs
Bangalore: In a move to keep its flock together, ruling BJP on Wednesday issued a whip to all its members directing them to be present in both houses of the legislature till the end of the ongoing budget session.
The ruling party, which had faced threats of poaching from former BJP strongman and Karnataka Janata Party chief B S Yeddyurappa, has taken the step to prevent further resignations and also to ensure passage of all bills.
"Whip has been issued to all members. For those who could not be handed over the intimation, it has been pasted on their rooms in the legislator`s home", Government Chief Whip Siddu Savadi told reporters here.
BJP has a strength of 105 members, excluding the Speaker, followed by Congress 71, JDS 26, Independents 7 (of them, one supports the government), nominated one and 14 vacancies.
Vittal Katakadonda and D S Suresh, whose resignations are yet to be accepted by the Speaker, have also been issued a whip, Savadi said.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar will present his maiden budget and the last one of the BJP government on February 8 as assembly elections are likely in April-May.
The legislature session will conclude on February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Kevin Magnussen taken to hospital for checks after crash at Belgian Grand Prix
- Study Constitution well, understand democratic process: President to law students
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg cruises to victory at Spa, Lewis Hamilton third
- 60 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan battle
- Myanmar President visits Taj Mahal