Karnataka BJP issues whip to its MLAs
Bangalore: In a move to keep its flock together, ruling BJP on Wednesday issued a whip to all its members directing them to be present in both houses of the legislature till the end of the ongoing budget session.
The ruling party, which had faced threats of poaching from former BJP strongman and Karnataka Janata Party chief B S Yeddyurappa, has taken the step to prevent further resignations and also to ensure passage of all bills.
"Whip has been issued to all members. For those who could not be handed over the intimation, it has been pasted on their rooms in the legislator`s home", Government Chief Whip Siddu Savadi told reporters here.
BJP has a strength of 105 members, excluding the Speaker, followed by Congress 71, JDS 26, Independents 7 (of them, one supports the government), nominated one and 14 vacancies.
Vittal Katakadonda and D S Suresh, whose resignations are yet to be accepted by the Speaker, have also been issued a whip, Savadi said.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar will present his maiden budget and the last one of the BJP government on February 8 as assembly elections are likely in April-May.
The legislature session will conclude on February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...