Karnataka BJP issues whip to its MLAs
Bangalore: In a move to keep its flock together, ruling BJP on Wednesday issued a whip to all its members directing them to be present in both houses of the legislature till the end of the ongoing budget session.
The ruling party, which had faced threats of poaching from former BJP strongman and Karnataka Janata Party chief B S Yeddyurappa, has taken the step to prevent further resignations and also to ensure passage of all bills.
"Whip has been issued to all members. For those who could not be handed over the intimation, it has been pasted on their rooms in the legislator`s home", Government Chief Whip Siddu Savadi told reporters here.
BJP has a strength of 105 members, excluding the Speaker, followed by Congress 71, JDS 26, Independents 7 (of them, one supports the government), nominated one and 14 vacancies.
Vittal Katakadonda and D S Suresh, whose resignations are yet to be accepted by the Speaker, have also been issued a whip, Savadi said.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar will present his maiden budget and the last one of the BJP government on February 8 as assembly elections are likely in April-May.
The legislature session will conclude on February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH