Karnataka BJP legislator gets bail in bribery case
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Tuesday granted conditional bail to ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Y Sampangi and also suspended his conviction of three years and six months rigorous imprisonment given by a trial court in a bribery case.
Admitting Sampangi`s bail petition, Justice V Jagannathan ordered him to pay a surety of Rs.100,000 for his release. The court asked him not to leave the country without its permission. He is lodged in the central jail.
"We have appealed to the high court for our client`s bail and suspension of his sentence under section 389 of the Criminal Procedure Code. The court felt that we had substantial grounds to seek the bail and suspension of the conviction," counsel Sandeep Patil told reporters.
Lokayukta (ombudsman) special court judge N K Sudhindra Rao on Saturday found Sampangi guilty of violating section 13 (1) of the Prevention of Corruption Act by accepting Rs.500,000 (Rs.5 lakh) Jan 29, 2009 from a businessman over a land dispute at the legislators` home behind the state secretariat in central Bangalore.
The first-time lawmaker from Kolar Gold Fields assembly segment, about 100 km from here, is also the first legislator in the state to have been trapped by the ombudsman in a bribery case.
Sampangi`s counsel also filed an interim application in the high court Tuesday challenging the trial court`s judgement, including the conviction and the sentence.
The court has posted the case for next hearing to June 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...