Karnataka BJP MLA quits as Assembly chief whip
Bangalore: The BJP government in Karnataka
today suffered an embarassment as its MLA D N Jeevaraj quit
as Chief Whip in the assembly in the wake of doubts over his
induction into the ministry in a proposed reshuffle of the B S
Yeddyurappa cabinet on November 3.
"Yes I have resigned from post of Chief Whip. I have
submitted my resignation letter to Chief Minister B S
Yeddyurappa", Jeevaraj, who represents Sringeri Assembly
constituency in Chikmagalur district, told PTI here.
"I have served as Chief Whip for about four years. Now, I
have quit", Jeevaraj, a strong ministerial berth contender,
Asked about his future moves, Jeevaraj said "I will act
as God directs me" and refused to divulge whether he also
contemplated giving up his assembly membership.
Party sources said Jeevaraj`s action comes in the
backdrop of his not reportedly finding favour with Yeddyurappa
in the next round of cabinet expansion, likely on November 3
and the likely induction state party spokesman C T Ravi.
Jeevaraj had earlier threatended to turn a rebel when he
was not inducted in the ministry in the last round of
expansion on September 22.
Yeddyurappa plans to fill four of the six vacant
ministerial berths but the move has already run into trouble.
Soon after the September 22 ministry expansion, opposed
by a section of MLAs, including some ministers who were
against re-induction of Shobha Karandlaje and V Somanna,
Yeddyurappa faced a major rebellion and threat to his
government after 19 MLAs, including five independents,
Yeddyurappa got 16 MLAs, including 11 from his party,
disqualified under the provisions of the anti-defection law.
Meanwhile it is learnt that mining magnates and three
ministers of Bellary, led by Tourism Minister G Janardhana
Reddy, are also opposed to the ministry expansion and want a
reshuffle of the ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?