Karnataka BJP MLA quits as Assembly chief whip
Bangalore: The BJP government in Karnataka
today suffered an embarassment as its MLA D N Jeevaraj quit
as Chief Whip in the assembly in the wake of doubts over his
induction into the ministry in a proposed reshuffle of the B S
Yeddyurappa cabinet on November 3.
"Yes I have resigned from post of Chief Whip. I have
submitted my resignation letter to Chief Minister B S
Yeddyurappa", Jeevaraj, who represents Sringeri Assembly
constituency in Chikmagalur district, told PTI here.
"I have served as Chief Whip for about four years. Now, I
have quit", Jeevaraj, a strong ministerial berth contender,
Asked about his future moves, Jeevaraj said "I will act
as God directs me" and refused to divulge whether he also
contemplated giving up his assembly membership.
Party sources said Jeevaraj`s action comes in the
backdrop of his not reportedly finding favour with Yeddyurappa
in the next round of cabinet expansion, likely on November 3
and the likely induction state party spokesman C T Ravi.
Jeevaraj had earlier threatended to turn a rebel when he
was not inducted in the ministry in the last round of
expansion on September 22.
Yeddyurappa plans to fill four of the six vacant
ministerial berths but the move has already run into trouble.
Soon after the September 22 ministry expansion, opposed
by a section of MLAs, including some ministers who were
against re-induction of Shobha Karandlaje and V Somanna,
Yeddyurappa faced a major rebellion and threat to his
government after 19 MLAs, including five independents,
Yeddyurappa got 16 MLAs, including 11 from his party,
disqualified under the provisions of the anti-defection law.
Meanwhile it is learnt that mining magnates and three
ministers of Bellary, led by Tourism Minister G Janardhana
Reddy, are also opposed to the ministry expansion and want a
reshuffle of the ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand