Karnataka BJP MLA Sampangi moves HC for bail
Bangalore: Jailed in a corruption case, BJP MLA Sampangi on Monday moved the Karnataka High Court seeking bail and review of the Lokayukta court verdict.
The matter will come up for hearing tomorrow before Justice Jagannathan.
In the first-ever conviction of an elected representative of the people in Karnataka, Lokayukta court Judge N K Sudhindra Rao had on June 2 convicted and sentenced Sampangi to undergo more than three years rigorous imprisonment and slapped Rs 1 lakh fine, besides ordering extension of imprisonment by six more months in case he failed to pay up.
Sampangi, who represents KGF Assembly constituency, was caught by Lokayukta Police on January 29, 2009 while accepting Rs 50,000 in cash and Rs 4.5 lakh by cheque from Farooq, a businessman, to settle a civil dispute.
Sampangi is lodged at Parappana Agrahara central prison on city outskirts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’