Karnataka celebrates Independence Day
Bangalore: Karnataka celebrated the 66th Independence Day with flag-hoisting, singing of national anthems and march past by security forces and children.
Patriotic fervour and cultural fiesta marked the day across the state, with thousands from all walks of life participating.
In Bangalore, Chief Minister Jagadish Shetter unfurled the tri-colour and received the guard of honour at the Field Marshal Manekshaw parade ground amid cheers by about 8,000 people.
Flower petals were showered on the ground from a low-flying helicopter of the Indian Air Force.
The gathering included hundreds of youths sporting colourful dress, waving the national flag and singing patriotic songs in unison.
Shettar went around the parade ground in an open jeep greeting the people and saluting the men and women in uniform on a partly cloudy day.
Shettar, who became chief minister July 12, witnessed an impressive march past by the Karnataka State Reserve Police, Rapid Action Force, Railway Police Force, Home Guards, fire brigade, National Cadet Corps, traffic wardens, Bharat Scouts & Guides, Seva Dal volunteers and about 1,000 boys and girls from schools across the city.
About 2,000 police personnel were deployed in and around the ground to provide security.
After Shettar`s speech, the cheering crowds were treated to an hour-long cultural programme including a judo contest.
A theme on the first Indian freedom fighter Rani Abbakkadevi, enacted by about 650 boys and girls from a city school in a song and dance form, was watched in rapt attention and drew huge applause.
Abbakkadevi was the first woman to fight against the invading Portuguese in the 16th century and die in 1567 at Ullala in Uttara Kannada district bordering Goa.
According to reports reaching here, the was celebrated with flag-hoisting, rendering of the national anthem, march past and cultural shows in district headquarters, cities and towns across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof