Karnataka: Church supports Lokpal Bill says Archbishop
Bangalore: Coming out against corruption, the
Karnataka Region Catholics Bishop Council on Wednesday said the
Church welcomed the proposed Lok Pal Bill and expressed the
hope that it would cover all sections of people.
"While welcoming the Lok Pal Bill, we hope it will cover
all situations, all people," Archbishop of Bangalore and
Council president Bernard Moras said.
Such a bill would help infuse confidence and build trust
among the people, he said during a press meet organised to
give out the message of Good Friday and Easter to the people.
He said the Church stood for justice, for anti-corruption,
and condemns bribe. "The Bible condemns any bribe because it
is intrinsically evil, it is immoral...specially so as it
goes against the interest of the poor, the downtrodden, who
are the ones who suffer," he said.
"The church therefore has a duty to join hands with all
those concerned working for anti-corruption," he said
referring to Anna Hazare, who is leading a campaign for a
strong anti-graft legislation.
"The church supports the movement of civil right leaders,"
he said, adding that corruption needs to be eliminated and
such anti-graft movement cannot be carried out by just one
person but needs the coordinated efforts of all.
On the Lok Pal panel being mired over the CD controversy
involving eminent lawyer and Lokpal Bill panel co-chair Shanti
Bhushan, the Archbishop said, "I am not competent to comment
on that but one thing I would like to say if someone really is
not open enough to be there...then they have no right to be
there (on the panel)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand