Karnataka CM asks PM to put on hold CMC award
New Delhi: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Saturday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to keep in abeyance the "burdensome" decision of the Cauvery Monitoring Committee to give Tamil Nadu 12 TMC of Cauvery river water this month.
Shettar`s letter to the Prime Minister comes a day after the multi-state panel asked Karnataka to give Tamil Nadu 12 TMC of water during December.
"The direction of the CMC to ensure the flow of 12 thousand million cubic feet (TMC) in December is extremely burdensome on the state of Karnataka," Shettar wrote to Singh, who heads the Cauvery River Authority.
He said when his state is running short of water, "how can we be directed to ensure 12 TMC flow?"
The Karnataka Chief Minister said the latest CMC award was twice the quantity decided by the panel earlier for its December `road map.`
"Both the states would, after this release, have a shortage of approximately 47 TMC against their requirements in December...This is not an elegant situation as both the states would be dissatisfied. But in the circumstances, this seems the only pragmatic solution, the best that can be done," the CMC award read.
Under the provisions of the Inter-State Water Disputes Act, 1956, the Centre had set up of Cauvery River Authority (CRA) and CMC to implement the award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
The CRA consists of the Prime Minister as Chairperson and Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Pudducherry as members.
The CMC is heade by the Union Water Resources Secretary and has Chief Secretaries and Chief Engineers of the four states as members.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory