Karnataka CM favours awarding death sentence for rapists
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Sunday said he was in favour of death sentence for rapists and enacting a law in this regard.
"I am in favour of death sentence for rapists and enacting a law in this regard," he told reporters on the sidelines of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of Karnataka Journalists` Cooperative Society Limited (KJCS) here.
The BJP-ruled government in the state will give all its cooperation for enactment of a legislation for awarding death sentence to rapists, Shettar said.
Addressing the function, Shettar promised to give Rs 10 crore loan for KJCS and another Rs 5 crore for health scheme for KJCS members. "I would try my best to get it done before the budget," he added.
On the occasion, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok inaugurated KJCS website and New Year calendar.
Deputy Chief Minister KS Eshwarappa showered praise on the contributions made by journalists during Emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed