Karnataka CM favours death for rapists
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar Sunday said his government would extend support to the enactment of the law for awarding death sentence to convicted rapists.
"I am in favour of awarding death sentence to rapists and enacting a law to that effect," Shettar told reporters on the margins of a function here, a day after the 23-year-old gang-rape victim of Delhi died in Singapore.
Expressing anguish over the death of the rape victim and conveying his sympathy to the bereaved family, Shettar said the state government would cooperate with the central government in amending the law for awarding capital punishment to rapists convicted of the heinous crime.
"My government will extend cooperation to the centre if a legislation is brought to amend the law for awarding death sentence to the guilty convicted of rape," Shettar said at the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Karnataka Journalists Cooperative Society Ltd. here.
In a related development, hundreds of youths, including techies from IT firms, demonstrated at the Freedom Park in the city centre seeking speedy trial of the six accused in the Delhi gang-rape incident and their conviction with capital punishment.
Carrying banners and placards with slogans against the government and police for failing to provide security to women, the protestors, led by the Young Blood Association, sought increasing police patrolling in vulnerable areas and intensified checks of private/chartered buses and taxis to ensure safety of working women and girls.
"The state government should also deploy more women constables in all police stations to instill confidence among women, register complaints against perpetrators of crime against women and investigate cases on fast track to render quick justice," Uma Maheshwari, a software engineer, said addressing the gathering at a condolence meeting.
The protestors also observed a minute`s silence in memory of the Delhi gang-rape victim and expressed solidarity with her grieving family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in