Karnataka CM favours death for rapists
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar Sunday said his government would extend support to the enactment of the law for awarding death sentence to convicted rapists.
"I am in favour of awarding death sentence to rapists and enacting a law to that effect," Shettar told reporters on the margins of a function here, a day after the 23-year-old gang-rape victim of Delhi died in Singapore.
Expressing anguish over the death of the rape victim and conveying his sympathy to the bereaved family, Shettar said the state government would cooperate with the central government in amending the law for awarding capital punishment to rapists convicted of the heinous crime.
"My government will extend cooperation to the centre if a legislation is brought to amend the law for awarding death sentence to the guilty convicted of rape," Shettar said at the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Karnataka Journalists Cooperative Society Ltd. here.
In a related development, hundreds of youths, including techies from IT firms, demonstrated at the Freedom Park in the city centre seeking speedy trial of the six accused in the Delhi gang-rape incident and their conviction with capital punishment.
Carrying banners and placards with slogans against the government and police for failing to provide security to women, the protestors, led by the Young Blood Association, sought increasing police patrolling in vulnerable areas and intensified checks of private/chartered buses and taxis to ensure safety of working women and girls.
"The state government should also deploy more women constables in all police stations to instill confidence among women, register complaints against perpetrators of crime against women and investigate cases on fast track to render quick justice," Uma Maheshwari, a software engineer, said addressing the gathering at a condolence meeting.
The protestors also observed a minute`s silence in memory of the Delhi gang-rape victim and expressed solidarity with her grieving family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured