Karnataka CM gives "dressing down" to bureaucrats
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister D V
Sadananda Gowda Thursday took bureaucrats to task for tardy
progress in implementation of government programmes and
appeared to give them "zero mark" in a tough talk.
Addressing a meeting with secretaries of government
departments, including those who are in-charge of districts,
Gowda who assumed charge five months ago, pointed out that
though Rs 920 crore funding was available for rural drinking
water and sanitation in the current fiscal, both from the
state and central sources, only Rs 250 crore had been spent.
"It`s unfortunate that money was spent below expectations
despite the availability of grants", he said. "Under rural
drinking water and sanitation programme, there should be 100
per cent achievement. This is a matter of priority".
"In majority of the departments, expected progress is not
seen in planned programmes. We have entered the last quarter
(of the financial year).In most of the departments, achievement
is to the tune of 50 to 60 per cent. If the achievement is
below 70 per cent, it has to be considered as only zero."
Noting that there have been allegations against some of
the Government departments, Gowda said their secretaries have
not issued clarifications to the media denying the charges, an
act which is likely to be construed that they were true.
"Except two-three departments, others have not paid
attention (to allegations in the media about them)", he said.
"Why do you keep quiet when allegations are levelled
against the department. It`s an insult to you. I can`t
tolerate (your act on not denying the charges and setting the
record straight)". He also said there have been complaints
vis-a-vis shortcomings in social security pensions attracting
Secretaries had been directed to visit districts and
conduct review meetings once in 15 days. "Some have followed
it. Some have not t taken it seriously. It`s unpardonable".
He urged officials to speed up implementation of government
programmes and tone up the administration to live up to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog