Karnataka CM opposes TN`s demand for Cauvery Management Board
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday opposed the formation of Cauvery Management Board (CMB) as sought by his Tamil Nadu counterpart Jayalalithaa when she met Prime Minister Narendra Modi earlier this week.
Siddaramaiah said civil appeals against the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal filed by riparian Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala are still pending in the Supreme Court and as such no move should be made to form CMB.
Another interim application filed by Tamil Nadu, seeking constitution of the board was also pending and merged with civil appeals, he told reporters on sidelines of a function to lay foundation stone to the statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the premises of Vidhana Soudha, the state secretariat, here.
"I read in the media that the Centre has asked officials to prepare a draft note following Jayalalithaa`s appeal. This is a very serious issue. We strongly oppose formation of any such Board till the court cases are decided," he said.
Siddaramaiah said CMB is not needed as there is already a Supervisory Committee, headed by the Union Water Resource Secretary monitoring water release from Cauvery after the final verdict was given by the Tribunal in 2007.
He said he also had discussed the Cauvery issue when he met Modi on Wednesday last.
The Chief Minister also expressed confidence that Union ministers from Karnataka would extend support and stand by the state in the fight against the constitution of CMB.
Siddaramaiah said he has convened a meeting of the floor leaders in the state legislature on June 9 and the following day would lead a delegation to meet Modi in Delhi.
He requested four Union Ministers DV Sadananda Gowda,HN Ananth Kumar, M Venkaiah Naidu and Siddeshwar to join the delegation.
Siddaramaiah warned that drinking water supply to Bangalore could be possibly affected if CMB was constituted.
Meanwhile, Major Irrigation minister MB Patil said the government would discuss the issue with its legal and technical teams to safeguard the state`s interest. He said the state`s senior counsel Fali Nariman had been in the city on a private visit.
The government would discuss the matter arising out of the demand for constitution of the Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27