Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah in Dalian to attend WEF meet
Bangalore: Heading a 22-member delegation, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has left for Dalian in China to participate at the three-day annual meeting of the New Champions of the World Economic Forum starting Wednesday.
Sporting a blue suit, Siddaramaiah, who otherwise wears white dhoti and shirt or kurta, boarded the flight last night on his maiden foreign trip after becoming Chief Minister in May. He was seen off by Ministers K J George, T B Jayachandra, H C Mahadevappa and H Anjaneya among others.
Leading the delegation comprising 14 of business group and team of eight officials, he is slated to return here on September 15. PTI
Banners galore for urban poll in Berhampur
Berhampur (Odisha): Manufacturers of flexi banners, cutouts and flags are doing a brisk business as candidates for urban bodies in Ganjam district of Odisha in general and Berhampur in particular are trying to outdo their opponents on this front.
Life-size cutouts and colourful posters have dotted almost all crowded places in Berhampur while various political parties have put up flags in many urban local bodies in the run-up to election on September 19.
Campaign vehicles of various candidates are also decorated with flexi cutouts and flags. "We are busy making for flex cutouts of different candidates. We have received orders to make at least 50 cutouts of 30 candidates of different parties," said flexi banner manufacturer Trilochan Sahu. Making charge is calculated according to square feet.
There are around 30 flex cutout makers in the town. Some of the candidates are also getting their cutouts done in the neighbouring Andhra Pradesh. Mostly unemployed youths are busy putting up the cutouts.
Though candidates are reluctant to disclose the amount spent for such campaign materials due to the limit on election expenditure, sources said they are spending heavily.
The State Election Commision (SEC) has capped expenditure limit at Rs 50,000 per candidate in the election to Berhampur Muncipal Corporation (BMC).
"Our candidates are furnishing day to day expenditure before the election observer. There is no question of crossing the limit of expenditure," said Ganjam district Congress Committee President Bhagaban Gantayat.
Meanwhile, the district administration seized several posters, flags and cutouts of different candidates as they were installed in public places in violation of the election code of conduct.
In Chhatarpur NAC, the election officer has issued show-cause notice to 12 candidates for violating code, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof