Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah in Dalian to attend WEF meet
Bangalore: Heading a 22-member delegation, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has left for Dalian in China to participate at the three-day annual meeting of the New Champions of the World Economic Forum starting Wednesday.
Sporting a blue suit, Siddaramaiah, who otherwise wears white dhoti and shirt or kurta, boarded the flight last night on his maiden foreign trip after becoming Chief Minister in May. He was seen off by Ministers K J George, T B Jayachandra, H C Mahadevappa and H Anjaneya among others.
Leading the delegation comprising 14 of business group and team of eight officials, he is slated to return here on September 15. PTI
Banners galore for urban poll in Berhampur
Berhampur (Odisha): Manufacturers of flexi banners, cutouts and flags are doing a brisk business as candidates for urban bodies in Ganjam district of Odisha in general and Berhampur in particular are trying to outdo their opponents on this front.
Life-size cutouts and colourful posters have dotted almost all crowded places in Berhampur while various political parties have put up flags in many urban local bodies in the run-up to election on September 19.
Campaign vehicles of various candidates are also decorated with flexi cutouts and flags. "We are busy making for flex cutouts of different candidates. We have received orders to make at least 50 cutouts of 30 candidates of different parties," said flexi banner manufacturer Trilochan Sahu. Making charge is calculated according to square feet.
There are around 30 flex cutout makers in the town. Some of the candidates are also getting their cutouts done in the neighbouring Andhra Pradesh. Mostly unemployed youths are busy putting up the cutouts.
Though candidates are reluctant to disclose the amount spent for such campaign materials due to the limit on election expenditure, sources said they are spending heavily.
The State Election Commision (SEC) has capped expenditure limit at Rs 50,000 per candidate in the election to Berhampur Muncipal Corporation (BMC).
"Our candidates are furnishing day to day expenditure before the election observer. There is no question of crossing the limit of expenditure," said Ganjam district Congress Committee President Bhagaban Gantayat.
Meanwhile, the district administration seized several posters, flags and cutouts of different candidates as they were installed in public places in violation of the election code of conduct.
In Chhatarpur NAC, the election officer has issued show-cause notice to 12 candidates for violating code, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi