Karnataka CM to face trial of strength
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister BS
Yeddyurappa will face the trial of strength in the state
Assembly on Monday under a surcharged atmosphere triggered off by
disqualification of 16 rebel MLAs, including 11 BJP men, by
A beleaguered Yeddyurappa, whose government has been
reduced to a minority following withdrawal of support by 19
MLAs -- 14 BJP and five independents -- will be moving a one-line
motion seeking the confidence of the House under a directive
from Governor HR Bhardwaj.
Following the disqualification of 16 MLAs, the
effective strength of the 224-member Assembly has been reduced
to 208, with the ruling side commanding the strength of 108 as
against the combined opposition strength of 101. Congress has
73 members and JDS 28.
There is a lone independent Varthur Prakash in the
House, besides a nominated Anglo Indian member.
The Governor had said yesterday in his letter to the
Speaker that any decision that emerged in the House from a
vitiated proceedings will not be acceptable to him.
Bhardwaj had communicated to the Speaker not to change
the configuration of the House strength and maintain status
quo as on October 6, the day rebels submitted him a list
of 19 MLAs withdrawing support to the BJP government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray