Karnataka CM urges PM not to notify final award of Cauvery Tribunal
New Delhi: With just two days left for the deadline set by the Supreme Court, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagdish Shettar on Monday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh not to notify the proposed final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
"The most important development to be brought to your kind notice is that the Tribunal has over-estimated the crop water requirement of Tamil Nadu based on the self serving affidavits of Tamil Nadu overlooking the objections of Karnataka," he said in a memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister.
A delegation, comprising MPs, Union ministers and Opposition party leaders from the state asked Singh not to notify the final award as the state was facing drought and drinking water problems.
It says that the latest assessment made by the team of Central Water Commission (CWC) under the direction of Supreme Court "has exposed the incorrect claims of Tamil Nadu."
"Therefore, I feel that the very basis of allocation of water to Tamil Nadu needs to be revisited," the memorandum said.
"The Prime Minister said that they will study the issue and get back to us. Prime Minister said that he will look into the matter," Shettar said after the meeting.
Karnataka commenced release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu from February 9 complying with the Supreme Court order directing it to release 2.44 tmc to save standing crops. The release triggered protests by farmers outfits.
The Supreme Court had earlier this month asked the Centre to notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Tribunal by February 20.
Karnataka has moved the Supreme Court seeking review of its order citing depleted storage in its reservoirs.
"In spite of these problems, our government has released water to Tamil Nadu honouring the Supreme Court order. But for now, it is not possible for us to release water under the present condition," Shettar had said in Hubli yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days