Karnataka Cong chief reaches out to Lingayat party leaders
Bangalore: Karnataka Congress unit chief G
Parameshwara on Friday held a meeting with party leaders from the
Lingayat community to dispel their feelings of being
In the meeting, which was attended by former deputy
Chief Minister M P Prakash, MLAs and MLCs among others,
Parameshwara assured them that "they have remained the
backbone of Congress party and there was no question of
ignoring or sidelining them," party sources said.
The KPCC president appealed to the Lingayat leaders to
sort out differences if any and strive for strengthening the
party, they added.
The meeting was held against the backdrop of political
instability haunting the BJP government led by Chief Minister
B S Yeddyurappa, who is facing allegations of corruption.
Congress leaders feel that the possibility of a mid-
term poll lurks over the state and the party needs to gear up
to face it.
A few months ago when Congress was in the process of
appointing the state Congress chief, Lingayat leaders had
urged the party high command to nominate one from their
community to the job, which however went to Parameshwara, a
senior leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof