Karnataka crisis: BJP to take call on rebel MLAs
Belgaum: The BJP central leadership will on Wednesday take disciplinary action against 14 of its legislators in Karnataka assembly, who defied party diktat to stay away from the formal launch of former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa`s new regional outfit.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, state BJP chief KS Eshwarappa, former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda and other top leaders will meet in Belgaum, about 500 km from Bangalore, to discuss the matter.
They are all here for the Winter Session of the state legislature which will conclude Thursday.
Drastic action like expulsion of rebel MLAs from the party appears unlikely as that would reduce the Shettar government to a minority in the 225-member assembly.
Including the 14 rebels, the BJP has 118 members in the assembly. It also has the support of one Independent who is a cabinet minister.
The Congress has 71 members and the Janata Dal-Secular 26. There are six other independents while two seats are vacant. There is one nominated member.
BJP sources said the party might try to wear down Yeddyurappa loyalists which would help it remain in power till the election due in less than six months. The assembly`s term expires May next.
This strategy would help the party to keep taunting Yeddyurappa to show courage and pull the down the government, which he is reluctant because of the caste factor.
His main support base is among the Lingayats, who constitute around 17 percent of the state`s 65 million population and are present in large number in north Karnataka.
Shettar, like Yeddyurappa, belongs to Lingayat community and hails from the north Karnataka town of Hubli, 90 km from here and 400 km from Bangalore.
With elections so near, Yeddyurappa can ill afford to go to people carrying the blame not just of toppling the government headed by a fellow Lingayat but a leader from north Karnataka as people in the region have a grouse that the area is neglected compared to southern and coastal areas of the state.
In view of these factors, the BJP might just issue show cause notice to the 14 assembly members and five legislative council members on why action should not be taken for sharing the dais with Yeddyurappa at his Karnataka Janata Party`s formal launch Sunday at Haveri, about 70km from here.
Further action would be based on the reply of these rebels.
Meanwhile, Shettar scotched speculation that he was contemplating cabinet reshuffle.
The 34-strong cabinet has two vacancies. One was created by the sacking of Cooperation Minister BJ Puttaswamy for backing Yeddyurppa and another following resignation of Infrastructure Development Minister Sunil Valyapure who has decided to join the former chief minister`s party.
Shettar told reporters earlier that he had no plans to change the portfolios of ministers or filling the vacancies.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks