Karnataka crisis: Two BJP ministers resign; 13 MLAs ready to quit
Bangalore: The BJP government in Karnataka on Wednesday plunged into a fresh crisis with two ministers resigning and 11 more MLAs, all loyal to former party strongman B S Yeddyurappa, deciding to quit their assembly membership.
Hours after Public Works Minister C M Udasi and Energy Minister Shobha Karandlaje gave their resignations to Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, the two along with 11 MLAs went to the Assembly Speaker`s office to submit their resignation.
As neither Speaker K G Bopaiah, who was not in station, nor the Assembly Legislature Secretary Omprakash were present when the MLAs arrived and waited for an hour, an enraged Yeddyurappa rushed there, insisting that the Shettar government had been reduced to a minority.
In a high drama, the agitated MLAs insisted that some official of assembly secretariat either receive their resignation letters or give an acknowledgement that they are not empowered to receive them.
Assembly Joint Secretary Jayatheertha Galali told the MLAs "as Joint Secretary I can`t accept it. Please come and submit resignations when Speaker comes to office".
Yeddyurappa, who recently floated the Karnataka Janata Party, said: "Shettar government has been reduced to a minority. He has no moral right to continue in office. He should call off his tour, return to the city and resign."
Yeddyurappa also attacked Bopaiah, who, he said, had been alerted yesterday about the resignation of MLAs, but has left on a tour.
"It is a shameless government.. Shettar should meet the Governor and tender resignation of his government", he said. "We will tell the Governor that this government cannot continue in office as it has been reduced to a minority".
Shettar, who left on an official tour in parts of North Karnataka, confirmed that the two ministers have resigned.
Udasi said they have been hurt by the attitude of Shettar
towards MLAs and Ministers supporting Yeddyurappa, adding, the time has come to build KJP.
A cloud of uncertainty has been hanging over the Shettar ministry ever since Yeddyurappa quit the party to float his KJP in December last. The former BJP strongman has repeatedly put the government on notice about their stability, claiming support of 20-30 BJP MLAs.
Yeddyurappa`s party had set two deadlines earlier to unseat the government but they turned out to be damp squibs.
Brushing aside the threats to his government, Shettar has said he would present the state budget on February 8, the last ahead of assembly polls due in May.
The MLAs who have offered to quit are C M Udasi, Nehru Olekar, Thippeswamy, B P Harish, H Halappa, Suresh Gowda Patil, Shobha Karandlaje, S I Chikkangoudar, Suresh, G Shivanna, Chandrappa, V S Patil and Basavaraj Patil Attur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh