Karnataka Governor appoints Shettar as CM
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj on Wednesday appointed Jagadish Shettar as Chief Minister and invited him to form the government.
Bhardwaj accepted the resignation of DV Sadananda Gowda as Chief Minister, a Raj Bhavan communique said.
"In exercise of the powers conferred under Article 164(1) of the Constitution of India, the Governor has accepted the resignation of the Council of Ministers of Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda with immediate effect and appointed Shettar as Chief Minister and invited him to form the government," the communique said.
Gowda shall continue to function as Chief Minister along with his Council of Ministers till alternative arrangements are made, the communique said.
Earlier, BJP state president KS Eshwarappa had informed the Governor that the BJP Legislature Party elected Shettar as their leader and requested Bhardwaj to invite him to form the government, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre