Karnataka Governor sanctions prosecution of CM Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Karnataka on Friday night appeared heading
for a showdown with Governor H R Bhardwaj granting sanction
for prosecution of Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa on
corruption charges and a defiant CM asking him to apologise
for remarks against the BJP government.
The stand off came to a head with the Governor first
rejecting a state cabinet resolution asking him not to permit
prosecution of the Chief Minister and later Raj Bhawan sources
said that the sanction has been granted for Yeddyurappa as
also Home Minister R Ashoka.
Stung by Bhardwaj`s remarks, the ruling party went into a
more aggressive mode announcing state-wide anti-Governor
protests tomorrow and "Raj Bhavan chalo" on January 25,
besides deciding to meet President Pratibha Patil in Delhi on
January 24 to seek the Governor`s recall.
Hitting back at Yeddyurappa, the Governor told him bluntly
in a letter that he cannot "put a lid" on serious allegations
of corruption and dismissed as "unwarranted" the January 19
"The sum and substance of the Cabinet decision is that it
simply requires me to put a lid on the serious allegations of
corruption against you (chief minister)," said Bhardwaj, whose
relationship with the BJP government is becoming increasingly
The cabinet resolution had asked the Governor to drop the
proceedings to prosecute Yeddyurappa and Home Minister R
Ashoka on alleged land scams on the basis of a complaint filed
by lawyers` forum, saying such a move was nothing short of a
"farce and colourable" exercise on his part.
An angry Chief Minister sought an "unconditional apology"
from Bhardwaj for characterising the state government`s
request to drop proceedings for his prosecution as a "case of
a thief admonishing a policeman".
"For his remarks, he (Bhardwaj) should tender an
unconditional apology. He has insulted the people of the
state," Yeddyurappa told reporters before the state BJP Core
Committee and Executive meet to discuss how to deal with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM