Karnataka Governor sanctions prosecution of CM Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Karnataka on Friday night appeared heading
for a showdown with Governor H R Bhardwaj granting sanction
for prosecution of Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa on
corruption charges and a defiant CM asking him to apologise
for remarks against the BJP government.
The stand off came to a head with the Governor first
rejecting a state cabinet resolution asking him not to permit
prosecution of the Chief Minister and later Raj Bhawan sources
said that the sanction has been granted for Yeddyurappa as
also Home Minister R Ashoka.
Stung by Bhardwaj`s remarks, the ruling party went into a
more aggressive mode announcing state-wide anti-Governor
protests tomorrow and "Raj Bhavan chalo" on January 25,
besides deciding to meet President Pratibha Patil in Delhi on
January 24 to seek the Governor`s recall.
Hitting back at Yeddyurappa, the Governor told him bluntly
in a letter that he cannot "put a lid" on serious allegations
of corruption and dismissed as "unwarranted" the January 19
"The sum and substance of the Cabinet decision is that it
simply requires me to put a lid on the serious allegations of
corruption against you (chief minister)," said Bhardwaj, whose
relationship with the BJP government is becoming increasingly
The cabinet resolution had asked the Governor to drop the
proceedings to prosecute Yeddyurappa and Home Minister R
Ashoka on alleged land scams on the basis of a complaint filed
by lawyers` forum, saying such a move was nothing short of a
"farce and colourable" exercise on his part.
An angry Chief Minister sought an "unconditional apology"
from Bhardwaj for characterising the state government`s
request to drop proceedings for his prosecution as a "case of
a thief admonishing a policeman".
"For his remarks, he (Bhardwaj) should tender an
unconditional apology. He has insulted the people of the
state," Yeddyurappa told reporters before the state BJP Core
Committee and Executive meet to discuss how to deal with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'