Karnataka Governor sanctions prosecution of CM Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Karnataka on Friday night appeared heading
for a showdown with Governor H R Bhardwaj granting sanction
for prosecution of Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa on
corruption charges and a defiant CM asking him to apologise
for remarks against the BJP government.
The stand off came to a head with the Governor first
rejecting a state cabinet resolution asking him not to permit
prosecution of the Chief Minister and later Raj Bhawan sources
said that the sanction has been granted for Yeddyurappa as
also Home Minister R Ashoka.
Stung by Bhardwaj`s remarks, the ruling party went into a
more aggressive mode announcing state-wide anti-Governor
protests tomorrow and "Raj Bhavan chalo" on January 25,
besides deciding to meet President Pratibha Patil in Delhi on
January 24 to seek the Governor`s recall.
Hitting back at Yeddyurappa, the Governor told him bluntly
in a letter that he cannot "put a lid" on serious allegations
of corruption and dismissed as "unwarranted" the January 19
"The sum and substance of the Cabinet decision is that it
simply requires me to put a lid on the serious allegations of
corruption against you (chief minister)," said Bhardwaj, whose
relationship with the BJP government is becoming increasingly
The cabinet resolution had asked the Governor to drop the
proceedings to prosecute Yeddyurappa and Home Minister R
Ashoka on alleged land scams on the basis of a complaint filed
by lawyers` forum, saying such a move was nothing short of a
"farce and colourable" exercise on his part.
An angry Chief Minister sought an "unconditional apology"
from Bhardwaj for characterising the state government`s
request to drop proceedings for his prosecution as a "case of
a thief admonishing a policeman".
"For his remarks, he (Bhardwaj) should tender an
unconditional apology. He has insulted the people of the
state," Yeddyurappa told reporters before the state BJP Core
Committee and Executive meet to discuss how to deal with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy
- Asha Kumari appointed AICC incharge of Punjab